Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Working Class Shows Support for Obama

I live in a neighborhood of ranch houses built sometime prior to World War II. In fact, I have an apple tree in my back yard that was planted during WWII as part of the government's war effort - apple orchards were planted in all the yards here. The neighborhood is relatively stable, but diverse. A lot of conservative, retired Southerners alongside families of African-American, Latino, and Korean descent. And, like me, the occasional white trash thrown in for seasoning.

While walking my dog on Monday I saw something that I had not witnessed before - 7 Obama signs. I only saw 1 sign for McCain, in the yard of the neighborhood Grinch.

Last election, I was the only one in my neighborhood who planted a Kerry sign. There were about a dozen Bush signs.

So the 7-1 Obama edge in signs is significant. It is only one neighborhood, but this is precisely the type of neighborhood Obama needs to win if he is to prevail in North Carolina - and other parts of the country.

More importantly, unlike in 2004, when my elderly neighbors were politely icy towards me after I posted my Kerry sign, everyone has been warm and friendly, and my Obama sign has been up since the primaries.

A good 'sign' I think.

1 comment:

Ralph said...

Great story, Richard. Good indication that the grassroots -- or apple tree roots -- may have shifted. Wouldn't it be wonderful if people actually voted for the person/party that had their best interests at heart?

Maybe the days of Republican's fooling people with fake issues are over.